I decided to do a slightly smaller painting, to be finished within an hour or so in the evening, so I drew out the desired size on the paper, and then added the initial wash.
I left plenty of white in the middle so that some of the flowers would have a bit of brightness. but I wanted there to be hints of other flowers in the background.
I then painted in the initial wash for the flowers, trying to get the shape about right and some of the lighter tones.
I also began to add a few leaves to the painting. I then spent time darkening some parts of the flowers, added lots more colour to the bottom background and created lots of new leaves by scraping back with a palette knife. A good bit of green, gold and white spatter and that is where I left it. A small quick little study which I enjoyed doing in such a limited time
Fabriano Artistico Extra White 300g Not
30cm x 20cm
As a bit of an aside and nothing to do with painting flowers, the subject at AVA this week was transport. Not really enjoying the prospect of painting or attempting to paint a realistic view of some form of transport, I opted for something a bit different, based very loosely on a photo in one of the local papers. I am not sure it really works, but I do like the muted colours ( except the blue and yellow in the botton RH corner!) if nothing else!