Monday 26 September 2011

Pen andWash

Thursday's subject a fortnight ago was 'drawing exercises' : any medium (but had to be dry), any subject and any style.Not my favourite subject as I profess to be quite weak at drawing, but I suppose this is all the more reason to practise!
In the spirit of 'making them all count' for the 2012 exhibition, I chose to draw in permanant pen, as I hoped that this would enable me to add some colour later, as black and white drawings do not seem to sell that well for me.

'Sunflowers and Pineapple'
Permanant pen on hot pressed paper

I was reasonably pleased with the result and included in my portfolio to take on holiday with me to finish if the weather wasn't too good.
True to form, it poured with rain all day Tuesday so I added the promised wash to the painting. I did find it difficult to move the paint around on the hot pressed paper and was disappointed that the finished result was heavy and over-worked. But there you go, win some, lose some.


As I had taken the trouble to carry the sunflowers all the way to Cornwall, it seemed a pity not to make the most of them, so I paid over the odds for a couple of lemons, and scoured the holiday cottage for a couple of jugs or vases and had a second go to see if I could get something a bit more to my taste from the flowers. This time tha paper was Fabriano extra white and the weather was a lot brighter and I think the results are a lot better. See what you think.



2 comments:

  1. Weak at drawing? Not in my book! Of the two I think I prefer the first one. The second is a more conventional watercolour, very good, but the first painting has something slightly different about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments Peter. Iy is easy to look as if you are good at drawing when most of the painting is of flowers. Accuracy is not of paramount importance except for botanical drawing! If I attempt portraits, buildings, busy scenes with lots of people or easily recognisable sites, its a whole new ball game and I do struggle. I will keep at it and make myself attempt subjects outside of my comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete